Veterinary Medical Manipulation (VMM), a modality that provides a very specific gentle thrust to help resolve restriction(s) and restore a normal range of motion of the joints in the body and prevent conditions from progressing.
Similar to Chiropractic in humans, Veterinary Medical Manipulation (VMM) is a therapeutic modality that involves the manipulation and adjustment of the spine and other joints in animals to relieve restrictions.Restrictions are found by performing a motion palpation examination. Motion palpation helps to identify areas of the body that are not moving normally. If a joint becomes restricted, itsability to move in a normal range of motion is reduced and results inabnormal gait,weakened muscles, muscle spasm and tension, malnourished cartilage, and pain. Specifically, restrictions of the vertebrae (spinal bones) can cause nerve impingement which can lead to lameness/limping, internal organ dysfunction and a depressed immune system.
Veterinary Medical Manipulation is very safe and should only be performed by a trained and certified Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM).
Here are just some of the common conditions that may respond Veterinary Medical Manipulation (VMM):
- Pain – ie neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, back, hips, knees, ankles toes and even tails!
- Abnormal posture and/or sitting abnormally – ie. to one side or “Puppy Sitting”
- Reluctance to move, jump, climb stairs and/or exercise
- Recurrent digestive problems or incontinence
- Recurrent infections or inflammatory conditions
- Lick granulomas
- Geriatric pets to help maintain function and mobility
- It is encouraged to combine Veterinary Medical Manipulation with Acupuncture, Tui-Na, Cold Laser Therapy and Herbal Therapyas to strive to achieve an optimal result and enhance the quality of your furbaby’s life, hopefully to ensure a happier, healthier and more active life.
- Veterinary Medical Manipulation should be used with caution in pets with fractures, pregnancy, severe skin disease, spinal instability or trauma, and any significant disease process.