You know that there are many pets who needs homes in Long Island, and across the country. And you already know that giving these pets a FURRever home of their own is something that helps the pet. But, did you know that scientific research proves the incredible — and multiple — health benefits pets bring to their owners? There are benefits for all of us, but the health benefits are especially evident for those over 65 years of age.
Here are a few of the results from these studies:
- The simple act of holding an animal can relieve symptoms of depression, lower blood pressure, and even decrease surgical patients’ healing times.
- The long-term survival rates of heart attack victims who had a pet are significantly longer than for those who did not.
- Widows who have cats are better off medically during their first year, which is a critical stress time, than widows who do not.
- Pet owners have lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels than non-owners. One year after having a myocardial infraction, dog owners were more likely to still be living.
- Dog walking, pet grooming, and even petting provide increased physical activity that strengthens the heart, improves blood circulation, and slows the loss of bone tissue.
- The most serious disease for older persons is not cancer or heart disease — it’s loneliness.
Love is the most important health tonic we have, and pets are one of nature’s best sources of love. Here’s to PETS…. and their Paw Power. May we always give them the love and care they give us…