Prescription PolicyAt Advanced Animal Care Center, it is our policy to take every possible step to ensure that our patients receive the very best pharmaceutical products available. Veterinarians are required to have a valid client/patient/veterinarian relationship in order to prescribe certain medications for patients. We carry a number of prescription products, veterinary ‘prescription diets’ and products labeled by the manufacturer ‘for sale by licensed veterinarians only’. We try to balance the convenience for you of having the product available here with the costs of having such inventory and our profiting from the sale of these products. We try to keep our prices within reason, but as a business, we have costs to cover to provide the products and product use information to you. In order to avoid any misconceptions, we have established the following prescription policy.
If you wish, we will gladly write prescriptions for your pet in lieu of selling them here so that you have a choice in where you have your prescriptions filled. We do, however wish for your decision to be an informed decision, and want you to know several things regarding prescription sales through some other sources:
1. All major manufacturers (Novartis, Pfizer, Bayer, Merial, etc) of veterinary specific products (Interceptor®, Sentinel®, Frontline®, Rimadyl®, Anipryl®, Metacam®, Heartgard® to name a few) maintain a policy of sales exclusively through licensed veterinarians
2. All or most catalogue/online sources cannot obtain specific veterinary products directly from the manufacturer. They have been known to twist their words about where they obtained their product. They may report the product is from X manufacturer. They do not say they purchased from the manufacturer.
3. All or most catalogue/online source sales of these products/medications are through non-approved channels.
4. All or most catalogue/online sources will not divulge from whom they are purchasing their veterinary specific products.
5. Most guarantees that manufacturers make regarding their products are null and void if their products are obtained through non-approved channels. This includes the guarantee
reimbursement programs for flea control, as well as all heartworm and intestinal parasite claims.
6. Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries (namely Australia) have been illegally diverted and sold through these discount houses in the United States.
7. Counterfeit products have been produced.
8. Some discount houses have been cited by the FDA and State Boards of Pharmacy for violating prescribing procedures. PetMedExpress (a.k.a. SaveMax), in particular, was recently fined over $100,000.00 by the FDA and Florida Department of Health. This particular discount house has also recently been sued by the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and the Texas Pharmacy Board.
9. PetMedExpress has deceptive advertising, as many times our prices are LOWER than or comparable to their prices.
10. PetMedExpress in particular at times has been aggressive and rude when they have called us. They have called multiple times after we declined authorizing prescriptions. They have wasted our time and upset our staff. They have called even after we requested they never call us again. They have tried to get us to authorize medications for pets we have no current client/patient/veterinarian relationship with.
11. Our products come with a person to help you utilize them in the most efficient manner. For example, we do not charge for recheck exams/consults for flea control if a prescription flea control product was purchased here. We will help you learn to apply product properly.
12. Shipping charges, delays, mis-shipments, and damaged products are several of the reasons that many clients feel that the hassles of dealing with the catalogue houses are not worth the savings.
13. Although the discount houses have concluded their business with you after you pay, we keep records for your specific pet, medication, dose and dosage instructions as well as refill information and requirements, regardless of where you choose to purchase the product. We keep records for at least 3 years after the last time we see the pet.
If you prefer to purchase your products at catalogue/online houses, we will gladly write prescriptions for these products according to the following guidelines:
1. All state and federal prescribing laws apply the same as if you purchase it here. (Some of the discount houses have not always followed the federal and/or state laws, but trust them at your own risk.)
2. We will write one prescription per medication per pet per 6 months at no charge. You must pick up this prescription in person. You are responsible for sending the prescription in to your choice of pharmacies. If this prescription is lost or filled improperly by the catalog house, additional copies will be provided to you at a bookkeeping fee of $15.00.
3. If you require having the prescription rewritten, a bookkeeping fee of $15.00 will apply.
4. To avoid any potential doctor-patient confidentiality issues, we will not communicate with the discount house in any form or fashion. We will not fax, or return faxes to them. We will not accept their phone calls.
5. It is your responsibility to ensure that the prescription is sent, filled, labeled, shipped, and used correctly. The discount houses have a reputation for poor customer service, and we cannot be expected to take the time to oversee their operations and shortcomings. We cannot be responsible if they send counterfeit or unauthorized products to you.
6. We will not become involved in any product failure issues for products purchased through these discount houses. This includes any prescription or nonprescription products. If you change your mind after we have written a prescription ‘script’ for you, we will be unable to fill the prescription for you here until you return the actual prescription form to us.