Basic Diets for Dogs with Allergies
Many commercial pet foods are loaded with highly processed, inferior-quality ingredients, and chemicals that may contribute to overall ill health or trigger allergic sensitivities. A switch to a higher quality, more natural food with fewer potential allergic offenders may reduce allergic reactions.
- Eliminate processed treats (eg. S’nausage).
- Eliminate treats containing gluten (ie. Bread or biscuits made from wheat, barley or rye).
- Appropriate commercial diet or home prepared meals – as discussed with Dr Selmer
- It’s okay to feed from the table – but only healthy natural food such as vegetables (no onions) or fruit (no grapes).
- Sauces, gravy made from mixes, processed foods (ie. deli meat, processed cheese) should not be given to your dog. Fat or gristle from meat is not appropriate as a dog treat.